Firing custom conversion events

The documentation is a little fuzzy on the subject of custom event types. If we want to send purchase details with our conversion event, it seems we can do it like so:

twq('track','Purchase', {
    value: '100',
    currency: 'USD',
    num_items: '1'
});

But if we create a conversion event and set the type to “Purchase” the generated snippet uses only:

twq('track','PageView');

Does this mean we need to add the Purchase event in addition to the PageView event, or in replacement of?

As an aside: It seems from this post that you’re actively supporting both events, but maybe not the others mentioned in the documentation.

Thanks for any clarification on any of these points!

Hi @SecretDev! Try this:

1. run your code after the line with twq('track','PageView');
  2. or write a single line like this:
twq('track', 'PageView', {
    "value": 100,
    "num_items": 1
});

currency is not a parameter that is sent. This is based on my findings for another post.

Hope this helps.

Hi @majoritasdev, thanks for your help. This is so confusing. Twitter’s documentation seems to suggest it should be done like this:

I guess it’s out of date?

I see… Looking at the javascript code now, I’m not sure… And I don’t have the time to investigate now.

What I did for the other post was to beautify the code at https://static.ads-twitter.com/uwt.js and decipher it to see what’s being sent and how. You could do the same if you’re good with javascript and have the time.

I think it would be better for a Twitter Staff member to shed some light on this, including on the parameters that are actually being sent to Twitter.

My tests using only

twq('track', 'PageView', {
    "value": 100,
    "num_items": 1
});

Seems to indicate things are being correctly tracked by Twitter. Be good to get confirmation of course, but so far so good.