Embedded single user timeline in iOS

Hi
I am new to both Swift development and Fabric so please bear with me!
I am trying to use Twitter Kit in Fabric to display an embedded single user’s timeline within a simple table view in my app. Login to Twitter will be by guest view only to begin. I appreciate there is plenty of documentation on this online but I can’t seem to piece the various bits of code together to make things work.
I have tried within Xcode to implement the guest login method and then the display in table view cells example shown in the documentation without success. The best I have achieved is to get 2 cells to populate based on the example with grey image placeholders and the Twitter logo but no tweet.
I also don’t understand the differences between a Twitter user handle and their Twitter ID?
Would someone kindly paste an example code of how the swift file for such a request should look or point me in the right direction for more help.
Many thanks

Hey benthomas1982,

There is a pretty thorough Swift example on how to display Tweets with TwitterKit here: https://dev.twitter.com/twitter-kit/ios/show-tweets. Look for the section “Show a UITableView of Tweets”. Let us know if you need further help on this.

As for a user handle and their ID, both are simply identifiers for a Twitter User. As you might suspect, the handle is often easier to refer to because the ID is some very long 64-bit integer. The difference lies that a Twitter User can change their handle at any time to another that isn’t already taken. The ID is fixed after the user creates their account.

Hi Kang
Thank you so much for your help. I have tracked down the user ID I require but for some reason I am still unable to populate the table view using the sample code provided in the Twitter Kit documentation (I just get an empty table view like the cell is not connected). I have tried to access Twitter as a guest only in my code and then simply embed the timeline of a single user. I am very sorry for pasting large amounts of code but am unable to explain my problem properly without doing so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

**Edited code below as per my last comment on this post

import UIKit
import TwitterKit

class TwitterViewController: UITableViewController, TWTRTweetViewDelegate {

let tweetTableReuseIdentifier = "TweetCell"
    // Hold all the loaded Tweets
    var tweets: [TWTRTweet] = [] {
        didSet {
            tableView.reloadData()
        }
    }
    let tweetIDs = [
        "184701590"] // our favorite bike Tweet

override func viewDidLoad() {

Twitter.sharedInstance().logInGuestWithCompletion { guestSession, error in
            if (guestSession != nil) {
                Twitter.sharedInstance().APIClient.loadTweetsWithIDs(self.tweetIDs) { tweets, error in
                    if let ts = tweets as? [TWTRTweet] {
                        self.tweets = ts
                    } else {
                        println("Failed to load tweets: \(error.localizedDescription)")
                    }
                }
            }
        }
        // Setup the table view
        tableView.estimatedRowHeight = 150
        tableView.rowHeight = UITableViewAutomaticDimension // Explicitly set on iOS 8 if using automatic row height calculation
        tableView.allowsSelection = false
        tableView.registerClass(TWTRTweetTableViewCell.self, forCellReuseIdentifier: tweetTableReuseIdentifier)

}

// MARK: UITableViewDelegate Methods
    override func tableView(tableView: UITableView, numberOfRowsInSection section: Int) -> Int {
        return self.tweets.count
    }

override func tableView(tableView: UITableView, cellForRowAtIndexPath indexPath: NSIndexPath) -> UITableViewCell {
        let tweet = tweets[indexPath.row]
        let cell = tableView.dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier(tweetTableReuseIdentifier, forIndexPath: indexPath) as TWTRTweetTableViewCell
        cell.tweetView.delegate = self
        cell.configureWithTweet(tweet)
        return cell
    }

override func tableView(tableView: UITableView, heightForRowAtIndexPath indexPath: NSIndexPath) -> CGFloat {
        let tweet = tweets[indexPath.row]
        return TWTRTweetTableViewCell.heightForTweet(tweet, width: CGRectGetWidth(self.view.bounds))
    }

}

I think the problem lies in that loadTweetsWithIDs is called outside of the logInGuestWithCompletion, which means you might not have a valid session before you call the API and will get unauthenticated errors

Try doing this instead:

Twitter.sharedInstance().logInGuestWithCompletion { guestSession, error in
  if (guestSession != nil) {
    Twitter.sharedInstance().APIClient.loadTweetsWithIDs(tweetIDs) { tweets, error in
      if let ts = tweets as? [TWTRTweet] {
        self.tweets = ts
      } else {
        println("Failed to load tweets: \(error.localizedDescription)")
      }
    }
  } else {
    println("error: \(error.localizedDescription)");
  }
}

Thanks Kang. I have amended as above in the edited code. The API call is now within the logInGuestWithCompletion method. I do not get any authorisation or other errors in the console but the tableview is still unpopulated. I simply have blank cells. Note I added cell.configureWithTweet(tweet) in the cellForRowAtIndexPath method also which someone else advised me was needed. Any ideas please…this is driving me crazy !

Nearly there! It works if I use the ids of particular tweets as opposed to the twitter id for a user. How do I amend the syntax to load a timeline based on a single user please? loadUserWithId doesn’t seem to work? Thanks

Hi Ben, did you ever get this figured out (in Swift)? I am still trying to find out how to get this working. Any chance you could share the source code?

I am having the same issue here. Can anyone help please? Any help will be very much appreciated. I get empty cells when i use my twitter ID. If that doesn’t work, can someone point us in the right direction? Thanks