Email permissions bug on account/verify_credentials?

oauth
api

Hello again!

We recently gained access to our users’ email addresses via this endpoint. We’ve got it all up and running… for the most part. We’ve found one issue - if a user has already authenticated the app with the old permissions, and for some reason need to reauthenticate the app (in this case, when a user has deleted their account on our platform and signs up for a new one), they’re shown on the auth screen that our platform will have access to their email address - but we don’t! On making a call to verify_credentials with include_email set, we don’t receive their email address. This is a bit sad.

Thanks,
Hazel

Hi Hazel - that’s a weird one! So what you’re saying is…

• newly auth’d users are prompted for email access, and you are able to retrieve it
  • existing auth’d users are made to reauthenticate / tokens are recycled, prompted for email access, but your app doesn’t retrieve it

Honestly I’m slightly baffled by what might be going on here. Out of interest, what client library / language are you using?

Yep, that’s my problem :slight_smile:

I’m using the tweepy library, the code’s in Python.

You already mentioned that this works for you in one case and not the other, so this is probably a redundant question - but just to double-check - you’re passing a string value of “true” into the ?include_email parameter in both cases, right?

Also, is this consistent in all cases where a re-authenticated user is queried? (i.e. can we be sure that the user does in fact have a validated email address associated with the account?)

Yep, we’ve been using ?include_email=true throughout.

I’ve been testing it with my personal account (which does have a validated email address) and have found the behaviour consistent.