Direct Follower Targeting

Hi,

I was led to believe that direct follower targeting was now open in the ads api as it is in the UI (where you can manually select @handles of users to build an audience from their followers), but I’m getting an error when passing IDs I want to target - any direction would be appreciated. Error message below.

Thanks,
Eamonn

{‘errors’: [{‘attribute’: ‘targeting_value’, ‘code’: ‘INVALID_PARAMETER’, ‘message’: ‘User XXXXX is not promotable user for this account, so cannot have the followers directly targeted’}, {‘attribute’: ‘targeting_value’, ‘code’: ‘INVALID_PARAMETER’, ‘message’: ‘User XXXXX is not promotable user for this account, so cannot have the followers directly targeted’}]

You can do this in the Ads API and for some time, but remember that you can only use the ‘Followers Of’ targeting feature with the FULL promotable user on the ads account.

From our targeting page:

Followers Of: Target the followers of any fully promotable users for the current account (note, currently the primary account holder is the only fully-promotable user of that account). GET accounts/:account_id/promotable_users to get a list of promotable users.

The error message you provided indicates that the user you have passed is not the FULL promotable user on that ads account:

User XXXXX is not promotable user for this account, so cannot have the followers directly targeted

Thanks for the quick response!

I understand now - I was lead to believe that this feature was now available for targeting any users as, as it is in the UI like here:

Is there any way to do this in the api?

Hi @Ci_WebSummit! Notice the description of the field in your screenshot:

Targeting @usernames allows you to reach users with interests similar to followers of any of those accounts.

The API field for this is similar_to_followers_of_users
( https://dev.twitter.com/ads/reference/put/accounts/%3Aaccount_id/targeting_criteria ).

+1 @majoritasdev! :sunglasses:

That makes a lot of sense, I understand the discrepancy now. Thanks for your help! :slightly_smiling:

You’re welcome, @Ci_WebSummit! Glad I could help. :slightly_smiling: