As we announced in May, the following services and endpoints are scheduled to be deprecated on August 16, 2018.
- User Streams
- Site Streams
- GET direct_messages
- GET direct_messages/sent
- GET direct_messages/show
- POST direct_messages/new
- POST direct_messages/destroy
- Account Activity API DM Beta
We want to share more about what to expect on August 16th so that you can better prepare if you haven’t already migrated off of these services or your migration won’t be complete by the 16th.
On the deprecation day, August 16th, we will begin “flickering” these endpoints as a final notice that they will be turned off. During the flicker periods, new connections will be refused and requests will return errors.
User Streams and Site Streams will flicker periodically for one week. At the end of that week, on August 23, new connections to them (including control endpoints) will no longer be accepted. We plan to return the following 410 error message during these flicker periods and when we turn off the endpoint:
The Site Streams and User Streams endpoints have been turned off. Please migrate to alternate APIs. See https://t.co/usss
Here is what to expect during the flicker time period:
- Starting August 16, 2018 through August 20, 2018, we will turn off User Streams and Site Streams for one hour every six hours (1 hour off, 5 hours on) starting at 16:00 UTC on the 16th.
- Starting August 20, 2018 through August 21, 2018, we will turn off User Streams and Site Streams for two hours every six hours (2 hours off, 4 hours on) starting at 00:00 UTC on the 20th.
- Starting August 22, 2018 through August 23, 2018, we will turn off User Streams and Site Streams for three hours every six hours (3 hours off, 3 hours on) starting at 00:00 UTC on the 22nd.
- Finally at 16:00 UTC on August 23rd, the endpoints will be shut off entirely.
The legacy Direct Message endpoints will flicker periodically for one month. At the end of that period, on September 17, requests to them will return errors. During the flicker period, we will also return 404 error messages. We will share details about the flickering schedule for these DM endpoints here on the forums soon.
The Account Activity API DM Beta will not have a flicker period and will stop delivering DMs on August 16th, 2018 at 16:00 UTC.
We are providing these wind-down periods so that developers that are still migrating have a little extra time to complete that migration. While flickering during this period will mean service interruptions, we believe it’s important to signal to developers who may be unaware of this deprecation.
The new endpoints and services available that provide similar access and, for Direct Messages, some additional functionality are:
- Account Activity API enterprise and premium
- GET direct_messages/events/list
- GET direct_messages/events/show
- POST direct_messages/events/new
- DELETE direct_messages/events/destroy
We have two migration guides to help with this transition, and we encourage you to start this migration as soon as possible:
- Account Activity API migration guide for those going from User Streams and Site Streams to our new webhooks based service
- Direct Message migration guide for those migrating between Direct Message REST endpoints
Thank you for building on the Twitter platform,
-The Twitter API team