Designing an App - Needs Twitter Authentication! - A confused man

Greetings!

I’m working on an application in Livecode - if you are familiar with it - and I am currently tasked with implementing the Twitter API using the standard Mobile flow. Perhaps I am not understanding something - I will list everything I know. I’m trying to consider my options here, as I am on a very serious time crunch.

For my application, I want users to be prompted at an opening "screen 1 "to sign in with Twitter. Upon doing so, in one way or another, I want them to be directed (like the mobile sign in flow) as I either

1. (They are signed in already) [have used the app before] check the login exists, and then immediately forward them to “screen 2” of my application, or… [they have not used app] 2. ask them permissions to allow the app, and upon confirmation redirect them to “screen 2” or

2. (They are not signed in) [They have a twitter account] prompt them for their twitter user/pass and, upon successful input, forward them to option 1, or… [they don’t have a twitter account] ask them to create an account etc etc.

MY QUESTION —> I don’t entirely understand how this works on a mobile application (let’s say iPhone for now). Do I redirect them to a Twitter page in a browser? I didn’t really think it would involve a browser, because after the authentication, do I just close the browser?

Shouldn’t it just be done through an API?

As I look on the internet, I see tons of Twitter tutorials using oAuth, and I think I understand it pretty well from the developer side, but I don’t get the actual user-end flow diagram, of how the user data itself is processed.

I just want to do some interacitons with the Twitter API - I had no idea this would end up being so difficult. C’est la vie, I suppose, and more power to me!

If anyone has Livecode experience, especially with Twitter, please post your thoughts.

I’m new to most of this, especially Twitter’s API and oAuth. And I’ve only been programming for ~3 years.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration.

James

I’m working on an application in Livecode - if you are familiar with it - and I am currently tasked with implementing the Twitter API using the standard Mobile flow. Perhaps I am not understanding something - I will list everything I know. I’m trying to consider my options here, as I am on a very serious time crunch.

For my application, I want users to be prompted at an opening "screen 1 "to sign in with Twitter. Upon doing so, in one way or another, I want them to be directed (like the mobile sign in flow) as I either

(They are signed in already) [have used the app before] check the login exists, and then immediately forward them to “screen 2” of my application, or… [they have not used app] 2. ask them permissions to allow the app, and upon confirmation redirect them to “screen 2” or
(They are not signed in) [They have a twitter account] prompt them for their twitter user/pass and, upon successful input, forward them to option 1, or… [they don’t have a twitter account] ask them to create an account etc etc.
MY QUESTION —> I don’t entirely understand how this works on a mobile application (let’s say iPhone for now). Do I redirect them to a Twitter page in a browser? I didn’t really think it would involve a browser, because after the authentication, do I just close the browser?

Shouldn’t it just be done through an API?

As I look on the internet, I see tons of Twitter tutorials using oAuth, and I think I understand it pretty well from the developer side, but I don’t get the actual user-end flow diagram, of how the user data itself is processed.

I just want to do some interacitons with the Twitter API - I had no idea this would end up being so difficult. C’est la vie, I suppose, and more power to me!

If anyone has Livecode experience, especially with Twitter, please post your thoughts.

I’m new to most of this, especially Twitter’s API and oAuth. And I’ve only been programming for ~3 years.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration.

James

33 min 39 sec ago

…bump