Copyright: Using Public Streaming API in iOS application

Hi,

I am using Twitter Public Streaming API to follow 300 public Twitter accounts. My server gets the Tweets and after doing some analytics it will stream them into my app.

I recently get this app rejected from Apple App store due to copyright issue. I wanted to know if I am violating any rules, copyright, or trademark if I use these tweets and display them in my app.

I am honoring the tweets by displaying their username, screen names, and profile pictures. I do not think there is any problem in using public tweets in my app at least from Apple point of view. Am I right?

Here is the original message:

"8.5: Apps may not use protected third party material such as trademarks, copyrights, patents or violate 3rd party terms of use. Authorization to use such material must be provided upon request
Thank you for your response and prompt attention to the Trademark issue.

If you believe you can make the necessary changes to your application so that it does not infringe the rights of a third party, we encourage you to resubmit your binary to iTunes Connect. For example, when linking to a third party news article, either open the article in a web view with a dynamic URL bar or launch the web browser outside of the application."

Twitter app on Apple devices opens the URLs in an embedded WebViewController. I do not see Twitter gives its users a choice in settings to choose whether they want the URL opens in embedded view or in outside the app.

Is this the review team misunderstanding or I am doing something wrong and I do not have the permission to display public tweets that for instance BBC just tweeted in my app?

Thanks.

Update: screenshots of the app

Update: Is it true that Streaming API can be equivalent as RSS feeds? If you assume that the Streaming API is RSS feeds then do I have to get permission from each of one the people I am following so I can display their public tweets in my app? (even sounded funny! but I think that is how Apple review team think about Streaming API.)

Hi @Maziyar_sh, Please contact our Platform Operations team by using the “I have an API policy question not covered by these points” option at https://support.twitter.com/forms/platform and a member of our team will be able to discuss your app in more detail.