Conversion Tracking alongside other ad networks?

I’ve checked the documentation but I can’t seem to determine the following.

Forgive me if it’s hard to succinctly express, and forgive my ignorance.

We’ve added Twitter tracking pixels to the site. We may be adding other ad network tracking pixels, as we will be running ads on other networks. And we expect organic traffic during our campaign as well.

If we can verify the status of our Twitter tracking through a simple site visit, how does the conversion tracking accurately line up with Twitter ad-driven traffic?

When the panel says “Tracking”, does that mean “Counting site traffic that is not being driven by Twitter ads as conversions”? Or does Twitter know the difference?

And if we are driving traffic to the site using other popular ad networks, and adding their respective tracking pixels, will there be any conflicts with Twitter’s tracking?

Hope that’s clear, thanks!

Andy

Hi @adbarr00 Thanks for stopping by.

The best resource for web conversion tracking is this document but I will try to answer your questions specifically.

If we can verify the status of our Twitter tracking through a simple site visit, how does the conversion tracking accurately line up with Twitter ad-driven traffic?

When a user accesses the site via the link from the Promoted Tweet during the attribution window, the tag recognizes that the user has previously interacted with a Twitter ad. The tag then “fires,” or sends a notification to Twitter’s servers so that the conversion can be attributed to the ad which generated conversion. This will not happen if the traffic did not come from Twitter.

When the panel says “Tracking”, does that mean “Counting site traffic that is not being driven by Twitter ads as conversions”? Or does Twitter know the difference?

Twitter knows the difference. Tracking means that Twitter has gotten pings from the tag within the last 24 hours. Twitter will only get pings from the tag if the traffic was generated by Twitter.

And if we are driving traffic to the site using other popular ad networks, and adding their respective tracking pixels, will there be any conflicts with Twitter’s tracking?

There should not be any conflicts. For more information about how Twitter handles attribution, read the Post-engagement attribution window and Post-view attribution window sections of this doc: https://support.twitter.com/articles/20170807-conversion-tracking-for-websites