Consistent 503 error from Twitter Ads API

Hi - I am receiving 503 errors when trying to pull a single day of data. Please see below for additional details.

• Using the Python Twython sdk for authentication and to make requests: https://twython.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#twython-api-documentation.
  • App Id: 8596508
  • Code for error replication:
    params = {‘end_time’: ‘2019-01-02T00:00:00-08:00’,
    ‘entity’: ‘CAMPAIGN’,
    ‘entity_ids’: [u’bpyhx’, u’bpyhy’, u’bpyhz’, u’bpyi0’, u’bpyi1’, u’bpyi2’, u’bpyi7’, u’bpyi9’, u’bpyia’, u’bpyib’, u’bpyic’, u’bpyie’, u’bpyif’, u’bpyig’, u’bpyih’, u’bpyii’, u’bpyij’, u’bpyik’, u’bpyin’, u’bpyio’],
    ‘granularity’: ‘HOUR’,
    ‘metric_groups’: u’ENGAGEMENT,BILLING,VIDEO,MEDIA,WEB_CONVERSION’,
    ‘placement’: ‘ALL_ON_TWITTER’,
    ‘start_time’: ‘2019-01-01T00:00:00-08:00’}
    from twython import Twython
    twython = Twython(u’REMOVED’, u’REMOVED’, u’REMOVED’, u’REMOVED’)
    twython.get(‘https://ads-api.twitter.com/4/stats/accounts/1la15r’, params=params)

The above command returns: TwythonError: Twitter API returned a 503 (Service Unavailable), Service unavailable due to request timeout; please try the request again later.

Can you please help me resolve this issue? Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Hello,

503 errors are temporary and generally resolve themselves within a few minutes. Can you let us know the timestamp for when the issue occurred? Additionally, have you retried the request to see if it succeeds?

Thanks!

Hi - I appreciate the response.

I agree, however I have received the 503 error multiple times when trying to request data.

Most recent timestamps of failures are:
2019-01-04 13:55
2019-01-03 09:30
2019-01-02 08:42

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Hi - Following up on this post. Have you had a chance to look into this issue further?

Thanks!

A quick update here, we’ve identified a couple issues with our analytics pipeline and are currently investigating for a root cause. We’ll update this thread once we know more. Additionally, please let us know if you experience this issue again please let us know along with the following details:

• The full request/response bodies for the API call
  • The timestamps for when the issue occurred

Thanks!

Hi - Please see the details below for the 503 error received.

params = {‘end_time’: ‘2018-12-03T00:00:00-08:00’,
‘entity’: ‘CAMPAIGN’,
‘entity_ids’: [u’bpyhx’, u’bpyhy’, u’bpyhz’, u’bpyi0’, u’bpyi1’, u’bpyi2’, u’bpyi7’, u’bpyi9’, u’bpyia’, u’bpyib’, u’bpyic’, u’bpyie’, u’bpyif’, u’bpyig’, u’bpyih’, u’bpyii’, u’bpyij’, u’bpyik’, u’bpyin’, u’bpyio’],
‘granularity’: ‘HOUR’,
‘metric_groups’: u’ENGAGEMENT,BILLING,VIDEO,MEDIA,WEB_CONVERSION’,
‘placement’: ‘ALL_ON_TWITTER’,
‘start_time’: ‘2018-12-02T00:00:00-08:00’}
twython = Twython(u’REMOVED’, u’REMOVED’, uREMOVED’, u’REMOVED’)
twython.get(‘https://ads-api.twitter.com/4/stats/accounts/1la15r’, params=params)

The above command’s response.content = ‘{“errors”:[{“code”:“SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE”,“message”:“Service unavailable due to request timeout; please try the request again later”}],“request”:{“params”:{}}}’
The timestamp of the request was: 2019-01-15T14:46:18.837664

Hi!

We’re looking for an update on this issue. Have you made any progress? Is there a timeline for a fix?

Hi!

Just following up here. Have you made any progress? Is there a timeline for a fix?

Thank you for your patience. We don’t quite have a solution in place as of yet, however we’ve been able to identify a potential bug in our system. Essentially, our backend systems responsible for tracking async requests will timeout occassionally causing a 503 error response.

In the meantime, I’d recommend implementing an exponential back-off and retry strategy to handle these failures. These failures tend to be temporary so retrying these requests would be your best bet.

We’ll update this thread once we’ve got a solution in place.

We’ll try that and we’ll be watching this thread for an update. Thank you for the suggestion!

Exponential backoff was not helpful. The call as described above has not ever completed successfully. No amount of waiting in between calls has resulted in anything other than a 503 response. I’m providing the following information in case it is useful in troubleshooting this issue. Let me know if I can provide anything else.

In order to construct the data set, we are looping through campaigns and the first set always runs successfully. I have included those params below and can confirm we are sending our request to the same URL as listed above.

I went a step further and skipped the first request that has been running successfully to see if the second request that has been failing might have more luck but I received the same 503 response. I did not loop through all of the campaigns but I did go through several and all but the first (listed below) resulted in a 503 error.

‘params’:{
‘placement’:‘ALL_ON_TWITTER’,
‘end_time’:‘2019-01-03T00:00:00-08:00’,
‘metric_groups’:u’ENGAGEMENT,
BILLING,
VIDEO,
MEDIA,
WEB_CONVERSION’,
‘granularity’:‘HOUR’,
‘entity_ids’:[
u’bpyhx’,
u’bpyhy’,