Card not recognizing description on some pages

For some pages, the card validator gives an error, whereas it works for others. Example:

passes validation. However,

saying that “twitter:text:description” is missing. I’ve verified and both pages above have a “twitter:description” meta tag set with a valid value.

Any idea why the second page is failing?

Thanks.

I checked the second URL and see this:

<meta name="twitter:card" content="summary_large_image">
    <meta name="twitter:site" content="@overEducate">
    <meta name="twitter:title" content="The LOOP by overEducate">
    <meta name="twitter:description" content="">
    <meta name="twitter:image" content="http://content.overeducate.com/articles/the-loop.jpg">

The value of twitter:description is empty.

Hi Andy, I’ll give you a little background info that may help find the problem. A few months ago, the description meta tag was indeed blank. Since then, we’ve released a fix and it seems to be populating now. How are you viewing the meta tags? Is it possibly a cached version?

The site runs angular and asynchronously fetches the content on load. Once the data is available, the fields are populated. It’s showing the correct title and image for you, so it looks like that is at least working correctly.

I just pulled up the page on Chrome on brought up the inspector and it’s showing the description correctly populated for me. Here’s a screenshot:

Any ideas why it’s showing up for me but not when you try it? Are you getting any js errors or are any resources blocked?

Thanks for your help.

Our crawler does not execute JavaScript and is unable to do so since it is not a browser. I grabbed the page using curl -A Twitterbot which emulates the way the crawler works (per our troubleshooting docs). The tags need to be static and populated on the server side.

Thanks, Andy! That cleared it up. I know exactly what’s happening now and will implement the fix for it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.