Can't use native retweet: not getting correct tweet id through API

We’re trying to use twitter’s native retweet on our site. The documentation at https://dev.twitter.com/docs/intents#retweet-intent says to get the tweet ID from the API, but the ID returned doesn’t work - I get a message saying that the tweet doesn’t exist.

When I inspect the statuses object in the user_timeline.json xhr on twitter, I can see that each tweet has both an id and an id_str. The id is the one we’re getting back through the api, but when I grabbed the id_str and pasted it into my retweet url, it did the retweet correctly. We haven’t been able to find the id_str through the API (We’re using twitter4j). The id and the id_str are slightly different.

Is the id being returned through the API correct? Are these values meant to be the same? If not, is there a way to get access to the id_str?

Thanks!

In some environments, the act of parsing and looking at the ID value munges it, due to its gigantic size. See [node:194] for more info. Use id_str to be safe. The ids are the same when they leave our servers – if you see them different, it means that the act of observing the ID has changed it.