Can't retweet with API if written with Indian characters

Hello, Twitter support team, and also whoever may help!

For many days I’ve been suffering this bug in both APIs v1 and v1.1. I can tweet up to 140 characters with different Indian characters (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmic_scripts) using the API, but many many times statuses/retweet fails with the following message:

“The text of your tweet is too long.”

Then I have to rewrite the tweet using less than 140 characters (something between 115 to 128 characters, depending on Twitter’s mood). Interestingly enough, I’m able to retweet the same tweets from twitter.com and mobile.twitter.com. So I’m pretty sure this is a bug in the offered API. From my research, the only thing that might be causing this is if Twitter found links in the message, but there are no dots or slashes in the messages, and nothing is rewritten to t.co. Just a few examples of messages that can be tweeted from the API, but cannot be retweeted unless you make it even smaller:

121 characters in Hindi:
और उन दिनों में वह पहाड़ पर प्रार्थना करने को निकला, और परमेश्वर से प्रार्थना करने में सारी रात बिताई। [लूका ६:१२] #बाइबिल

127 in Kannada:
ಆ ಸಮಯದಲ್ಲಿ ಯೇಸು ಪ್ರಾರ್ಥನೆ ಮಾಡುವುದಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ಬೆಟ್ಟಕ್ಕೆ ಹೋದನು. ದೇವರಲ್ಲಿ ಪ್ರಾರ್ಥಿಸುತ್ತಾ ರಾತ್ರಿಯೆಲ್ಲಾ ಅಲ್ಲೇ ಇದ್ದನು. [ಲೂಕನು ೬:೧೨] #ಬೈಬಲ್

136 in Malayalam:
ആ സമയം യേശു മലയിലേക്ക് പ്രാര്‍ത്ഥിക്കാന്‍ പോയി. രാത്രി മുഴുവന്‍ ദൈവത്തോട് പ്രാര്‍ത്ഥിച്ചു കൊണ്ട് അവനവിടെ കഴിഞ്ഞു. [ലൂക്കോസ് ൬:൧൨] #ബൈബിൾ

139 in Oriya:
ସେହି ସମୟରେ ଯୀଶୁ ପ୍ରାର୍ଥନା କରିବା ପାଇଁ ଗୋଟିଏ ପର୍ବତ ଉପରକୁ ଗଲେ। ସେ ସେଠାରେ ପରମେଶ୍ବରଙ୍କୁ ପ୍ରାର୍ଥନା କରିବାରେ ସାରା ରାତିଟି ବିତେଇଲେ। [ଲୂକ ୬:୧୨] #ବାଇବଲ

I can’t reproduce this issue in other non-Latin scripts, like Greek, Cyrillic, Hebrew, Arabic, Persian, Amharic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc., but only in Indian scripts, like Tamil and Bengali, besides all others already mentioned in the examples.

Thanks for you support, waiting to hear from you!

Please, provide some help or fix, this bug is really annoying!

Hi, sorry about the delay to respond. Unfortunately I was unable to reproduce. For example, I was successfully able to Tweet:

ସେହି ସମୟରେ ଯୀଶୁ ପ୍ରାର୍ଥନା କରିବା ପାଇଁ ଗୋଟିଏ ପର୍ବତ ଉପରକୁ ଗଲେ। ସେ ସେଠାରେ ପରମେଶ୍ବରଙ୍କୁ ପ୍ରାର୍ଥନା କରିବାରେ ସାରା ରାତିଟି ବିତେଇଲେ। [ଲୂକ ୬:୧୨] #ବାଇବଲ

and

ആ സമയം യേശു മലയിലേക്ക് പ്രാര്‍ത്ഥിക്കാന്‍ പോയി. രാത്രി മുഴുവന്‍ ദൈവത്തോട് പ്രാര്‍ത്ഥിച്ചു കൊണ്ട് അവനവിടെ കഴിഞ്ഞു. [ലൂക്കോസ് ൬:൧൨] #ബൈബിൾ

from a Twitter application: http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/show.json?id=309474121887121408

It’s possible that this issue may have been fixed already.

Hi, Arne! Thanks for your attention!

The problem is that those messages can’t be REtweeted from the API, only from the Web interface. Sometimes I have to reduce them to almost 100 characters only.

Are you saying that you get a HTTP error when POSTing to statuses/retweet or are you trying a different form of retweet?

I get the following in XML (but already tried in JSON too, with both the APIs 1 and 1.1):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> The text of your tweet is too long. The text of your tweet is too long. The text of your tweet is too long.

ನೀವು ನನ್ನನ್ನು ಆರಿಸಿಕೊಳ್ಳಲಿಲ್ಲ; ನಾನು ನಿಮ್ಮನ್ನು ಆರಿಸಿಕೊಂಡೆನು. ನೀವು ಹೊರಟು ಹೋಗಿ ಫಲಕೊಡಬೇಕು. ಇದೇ ನಾನು ನಿಮಗೆ ಕೊಟ್ಟಿರುವ… [ಯೋಹಾನನು ೧೫:೧೬] #ಬೈಬಲ್

ତୁମ୍ଭେ ମୋତେ ମନୋନୀତ କରିନାହଁ, କିନ୍ତୁ ମୁଁ ତୁମ୍ଭକୁ ମନୋନୀତ କରିଛି। ମୁଁ ତୁମ୍ଭକୁ ଏହି କାର୍ୟ୍ଯ ଦେଇଛି, ୟେପରି ତୁମ୍ଭେ ଯାଇ ଫଳ ଫଳିବ।… [ଯୋହନ ୧୫:୧୬] #ବାଇବଲ

Those two messages are examples that cannot be even tweeted (not retweeted) from the API and give a different error message:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> /1/statuses/update.xml Status is over 140 characters.

Would you please try them yourselves?