Can @Anywhere be used as an oauth connection to post tweets and pictures as a user?

I understand how oauth works and I have used it before to connect with Twitter. I am currently creating an integration to twitter on a new website. I am wondering if I should just use the same oauth stuff that I am familiar with or look at this new @Anywhere service?

Is @Anywhere meant to replace the old way of integrating websites with Twitter? I am not understanding the difference between these two things.

Can someone please shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Eve

@Anywhere is best suited to very low-touch integrations where the user will likely be utilizing a Twitter feature for a very short period of time on your site. It’s fallen a bit behind the times in that it doesn’t support such tasks as uploading media, automatic t.co URL wrapping, and so on. For many of the features @Anywhere provides, Twitter Web Intents, the Tweet Button, and the Follow Button provide more relevant experiences.

I would recommend using the REST API for any long-term integrations where a relationship with the Twitter user wants to be maintained for a significant period of time, or if you want to use advanced features of the API.

Ok thanks. We were drawn to the @anywhere connect feature because it displays the process in a nice modal box for the user. We don’t like how the REST API auto requires the user to leave our website. Is there a way for a user to connect with the REST API using a nice pop-up box similar to what @anywhere has?

Thanks again!
Eve

Absolutely. Instead of redirecting the user to the authenticate endpoint, open a popup window to that location and allow the user to complete the flow there. When the user is redirected back to your callback URL, you can close the popup.