Best way to create apps for elevated POST access

Hi,

I am wondering what is the best way to manage my apps with the new process of elevated POST access.

Here’s some context :

• I work in a Social Media agency that provide solutions for our clients, such as Twitter Apps for community animation or promotional events (launch of products, Christmas period, holidays, and so on…).
  • These events can be really ephemeral (1-2 days) or last for a month (rarely much).
  • The volume of tweets generated by these apps could vary over time (a burst is expected during a Twitter Ad campaign for instance) and depends of the community commitment.
  • Each event concept is different (it could be an experience, a quiz, a game, a poll, etc…)

So what is the best option :

• Create an App per event, and submit an elevated POST access request each time (and lose reactivity in the process of app deployment, knowing that the schedules are sometimes really short)
  • Create an App per client, and submit an elevated POST access request each time we have a new client (less time consuming, but the description of the App won’t be specific and tweet consumption will be mutualized between events)
  • Create an App that will be used for all the events we create for our clients (only one elevated POST access request to pass, but if this app is restricted for some reason, all events across all our clients will be down)

One more question, when granted an elevated POST access, is there no limit or the limit is just “elevated” ? If so, what is this limit ?

Our clients are very concerned about this new rule (especially with the Christmas campaigns coming soon) and we want to reassure them that they will be able to deploy their campaigns “as before”.

Thanks for your help.

BR,
Simon

Hello @amanodev69. Thank you for your message. I don’t have an answer for you now, but if you’d like to apply for post elevation, please refer to this post: POST ELEVATION

To apply for elevation, you need to have an approved developer application, and be sure to stay tuned for any updates or changes.

Hamza

Hi Hamza,

Thanks for your answer, I’ll stick then with the first solution for now.

As for the second question, could you tell me if the elevated access bring a limitless use of the POST endpoint or just a higher limit, if so what is this limit ?

Thanks.

Hi @amanodev69 - elevated access does not bring you limitless use; instead, it gives you the same rate limit that was previously in place (i.e. user-level rate limits only).

You can find this information, and more, in our blog post on the topic:

We will remove this default app-level restriction for any apps that have a valid need for increased access, returning access to the same level allowed previously (user-level rate limits only).

Hi @AureliaSpecker,

Thanks for your answer and the link you provided.

To clarify, when elevated the app revert to a user-level rate limit and can tweet as many tweets it could before this new rate limit (roughly 2,400 tweets a day by user, broken down into smaller 15 minutes intervals, as stated by @andypiper in his answer : Rate Limit for "POST statuses/update").

But the documentation states now a 3 hours interval, even for user-level. So, I assume that even if my app is elevated, I won’t be able to tweet more than 300 tweets every 3 hours, and in the end an elevated app is “just” an app with only one user.

Am I correct to assume that an elevated app can’t absorb bursts of traffic (say when a promoted tweet is posted) even if the total generated tweets a day are below 2,400 ?

I’m sorry to ask so many questions but I really want to give the best answer to my clients about this rate limit, as they are concerned about the potential fail of their Twitter campaigns.

Thanks.

Hi @amanodev69 - sorry for the delay here. To clarify a couple of things:

amanodev69:

When elevated the app revert to a user-level rate limit and can tweet as many tweets it could before this new rate limit (roughly 2,400 tweets a day by user, broken down into smaller 15 minutes intervals, as stated by @andypiper in his answer : Rate Limit for “POST statuses/update”).

Yes, the elevated rate limit is roughly 2,400 per day. The daily update limit is further broken down into smaller limits for semi-hourly intervals. Retweets are counted as Tweets.

amanodev69:

Am I correct to assume that an elevated app can’t absorb bursts of traffic (say when a promoted tweet is posted) even if the total generated tweets a day are below 2,400 ?

An elevated app can absorb bursts of traffic as long as no one user is posting 300 times within an hour. So if you have a major event go off and your 500 users all post 3 Tweets each, then they would not hit the rate limit if you have the app-level elevation. But if a user decided to post 300 times within an hour, they would hit the user-level rate limit even with the app-level elevation.

Many thanks for your explanations, all is much clearer now.

BR,
Simon