Automated Response Throughput & Twitter Approval

Posting my question here per @joncipriano,

My question is regarding Automation guidelines: https://support.twitter.com/articles/76915

“Automated Replies and Mentions - the recipients must request or otherwise indicate an intent to be contacted in advance. For example, sending automated replies based on keyword searches is not permitted. Users must also have a clear and easy way to opt-out of receiving automated reply messages and mentions from your application."

We are currently following the guidelines as described . Our system only messages users who have performed an action indicating intent ie. utilizing a purpose specific #hashtag as presented by an account they follow or RT’ing a post with a specific call to action We also have added the ability to opt-out on the system if the guest chooses too. Both of these behaviors can be seen in the example here:

@username to donate to [causename] click here: [link] . To opt out of this campaign click here: [link]

The Automation guidelines go on to say the following - Note: media or brands using auto-response campaigns must request approval from Twitter and may be subject to additional rules

We are using our platform in the services of celebrity and brand accounts and have inquired through the standard support channels about approvals and additional rules however we were unable to get any solid information besides being directed to sign up for a Twitter advertising account.

We also have run into a serious throughput issue as our campaigns are seeing responses in the thousands based upon the popularity of the causes (Cancer Relief, Unicef, etc.).

How can we get actual guidelines to how we should implement such campaigns in order to fulfill our obligations to clients and run effective charitable campaigns without running afoul of guidelines and terms?

Thanks,

Jaime

Automated Direct Messages for Service App

Hi @jmacias, first off, thanks for reaching out for more details. The guidelines page you refer to is the correct place for this information. You also seem to to have a good understanding of the guidelines and your app falls within them. You are free to execute these campaigns. However, your clients and apps will be still be subject to documented API rate limits and our spam detection. We do not document the details of our spam detection for obvious reasons.

As the note alludes to, the proper way to run these campaigns to ensure it is not blocked in anyway is for the brand to work directly with Twitter. The brand can still use your service, but a Twitter account manager can work with the brand to define account settings that can let them operate more freely. This is more likely to happen if a brand advertises on Twitter.

With that said, a verified account comes with additional benefits out-of-the-box that help with these types of programs. Unicef is a verified account. I would still highly recommend the brand reach out to their Twitter account or sales manager to discuss the program, though.

To sum up:

1. You should consider these advertising campaigns.
  2. A brand works directly with Twitter for guidance and to prepare the account for the campaign.
  3. The brand is free to use what ever service they want to execute the campaign.

@joncipriano,

One last question. How can we as a service develop a relationship with Twitter so that our handles (which execute the responses) can benefit from this advice?

Thanks,

Jaime

@jmacias, I’m not an account manager but I would recommend the following:

1. Inquire into the Twitter Official Partner Program
  2. Become a Gnip data customer
  3. Work closely with one of your clients that has an advertising or BD relationship with Twitter

Thank you @joncipriano, appreciate your insight.

JM