Application limit per account or user?

apps.twitter.com
api
limits

Hello!

I am trying to use the Streaming API to collect tweets. And what I want to know is that is there a limit to the number of Apps an account can have?

I understand that each App comes with a key and a token. You can connect to the Streaming API using these, and there are limits to the API like 5000 user ids per App. But is there a limit to how many Apps an account can have? For example can I collect 15000 user tweets using three Apps with three different keys and token, but all that in one account?

Thank you,

(moving this to the Rules and Policies category as there is no OAuth implementation question here)

It sounds like your reason for asking this is that you want to create multiple applications in order to circumvent the rate limits?

Per the Developer Agreement:

Rate Limits. You will not attempt to exceed or circumvent limitations on access, calls and use of the Twitter API (“Rate Limits”), or otherwise use the Twitter API in a manner that exceeds reasonable request volume, constitutes excessive or abusive usage, or otherwise fails to comply or is inconsistent with any part of this Agreement.

In the Developer Policy:

Do not do any of the following:
Use a single application API key for multiple use cases or multiple application API keys for the same use case.

This includes using multiple applications in the way you are describing. You can have many applications with a single account, but the expectation is that the keys and tokens for each would be used for different purposes, and not used to “multiply” rate limits.

If you would like to track more users of keywords against a streaming API, then you should consider one of the Gnip APIs such as PowerTrack (these are commercial products).

Oh so its actually against policy. Thanks Andy for your reply! I will looking these commercial products. :smile: