App name on player card doesn't use meta tag value

What is used to determine the app name on a Player Card? I’m seeing a disparity between the meta tag on our page and what is displaying in the iOS app. We’re setting twitter:app:id:iphone, but the app is displaying a longer name. Is it possible it is using the name from the App Store instead?

In addition, while testing out the player card, I’ve seen the app/website periodically display what appears to be a summary card for a brief period of time before it is replaced with a player card. Is this expected behavior? I’ve occasionally had to quit/re-open the app to see the player card displayed.

URL affected (must be public):

https://www.breaker.audio/freakonomics-radio/e/43536013

Troubleshooting steps attempted [note that we will not prioritise posts unless there is evidence of following the troubleshooting guides]:

• when you view the source of your page, the expected Twitter Cards meta tags are shown

Yes, all tags are visible.

• NB at a minimum, your page must contain at least a twitter:card meta tag specifying a valid card type, or suitable OpenGraph fallback tags.

Yes, the twitter:card tag is specified

• if you execute curl -v -A Twitterbot at the command prompt, does your page still show the twitter:card tags in the section of the page? Does your server return a 200 response code and a valid Content-Type header?

Yes, the tags are visible and the server returns a 200 response with Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

• is your page adding the tags after it is loaded, for instance using Javascript (e.g. Angular, Meteor, Google Tags Manager)? The crawler and validator cannot execute Javascript and the tags must be static.

No, the tags are present when the response is returned in HTML (not added by JS)

• is your site accessible by the Twitterbot/1.0 user-agent? Are all the files (including image files) accessible to Twitterbot? you should check http://your-site-url/robots.txt and ensure that it allows access to our crawler. If your images are on a different domain, also make sure you check the robots.txt file for that domain.

Yes, our robots.txt does not disallow any user-agents.

• are you using a Wordpress (or other CMS/blogging platform) plugin? We provide our own official Wordpress plugin, but cannot easily provide support for those built by third parties. Check that the configuration includes all of the required tags. Avoid using multiple plugins at the same time, as tags will override one another.

Our site does not use wordpress or a plugin.

• are you putting the top-level site URL into the Validator, or the specific URL where your markup is present? you’ll need to make sure that you provide a link to where your Card markup is visible in the page.

The validator recognizes a valid player card.

• are you using a supported Card type? Product, Gallery and Photo cards were deprecated in mid-2015. Is the card type spelled correctly, or is there a typo?

Yes, we are using a player card and the player appears as expected (most of the time, see question above)

• if your image is not showing, is it accessible on a URL that is not blocked by your robots.txt file? Does it conform to our size constraints? Are you using an absolute and full URL (including the http protocol piece), not a relative one?

All images are using absolute paths.

• if you see a validator message about Fetching the page failed because other errors or similar, check your SSL configuration. The certificate and server name must match (or be aliased to match) due to Java security constraints.

The validator does not return any error messages pertaining to SSL. According to SSL Labs, our cert has an A+ rating.

• are you using a fully qualified DNS domain name? The crawler does not support dotted IP addresses as domain references, and cannot access localhost.

Yes, we’re using our primary domain: www.breaker.audio

Any thoughts on this one, folks? I thought the app name might’ve been cached and would eventually invalidate but that hasn’t happened. I’m left to wonder how this is implemented in Twitter’s iOS app as I seemingly have no control over the display through a meta tag on my page.