API limits

Hello everybody!

I have some easy questions about REST API limits, here the go :slight_smile:

• The 250 direct message diary limit… is it per user or per application?
  • Do failed operations count for the limits? (for example, operations returning 403 error).
  • Is it possible to access to a paid premium-access API por integration projects?

Thank you very much for your time!
Best regards!!!

• Write limits aren’t really “rate limits” when we talk about about rate limits on this site. They are purely belonging to the user and are the same core limit for that user, regardless of the app they use.
  • The DM limit, like the Tweet limit, belongs directly to the user.
  • With write limits, only successful writes count against the daily limit.

Thank you for your response!!
Regarding read-limits, do failed operations count for the limits? (i am thinking about the diary 350 max read operations, as explained in http://support.twitter.com/articles/160385#)

Any though or comment about accessing to a premium-api with fewer limit? Do this option exist?

Thank you very much!
Best regard

The “350” number comes from an older version of the API (API v1) – API v1.1 is rate limited much differently, in that each API method has its own per-user/app rate limit.

We don’t offer a premium service for increased API usage. It’s best to find ways to accomplish your goals given the default API limits, and/or leverage the services of our data providing partners.

Thank you very much!!

Regarding the POST direct_messages/new method (API 1.1), as i can read in https://dev.twitter.com/docs/api/1.1/post/direct_messages/new, this operation is not rate-limited.

But as I can read in https://support.twitter.com/groups/31-twitter-basics/topics/114-guidelines-best-practices/articles/15364-about-twitter-limits-update-api-dm-and-following#, this operation is limited to 250 direct messages per user and per day.

So, is this operation limited?

Thank you very much.
Best regards

Write actions aren’t “rate limited” by the same definition we use to describe API resource methods.

Write actions have allowances granted to specific accounts – it doesn’t matter which application they use. So there’s no rate limit for direct_messages/new, but there are still limits intrinsic to the account, and those limits are not expressed programmatically.

Helo again.
According to your explanation… which would be the limit for my account (test_dirtec), for example?
Do you mean these limits are changed by Tweeter admins dinamycally, according to the system workload?

Thank you very much!

Accounts can generally send up to 250 direct messages per UTC day. Tweet allowances are at 1,000 per day, but that 1,000 is divided into roaming windows of time that we do not disclose.

Hello again @episod
So, definitely…an application can send up to 250 direct messages per UTC day using API. Is this the limit we have to consider programatically? (we need a number to consider, if not exact at least aproximate)

I am very sorry for so many questions, but i found these matter a bit hard to understand.
I am very grateful to you.
Best regards from Spain