[AAAPI] Read Receipts don't match reality of when a user sees a DM

Say you’re right a fairly complex bot and you want to have dynamic states for your user input.

Here’s a scenario we’re having trouble with:

User selects a button prompt in the DMs to enter their phone number.

DM Sent time is 2018-10-12 19:34:14.
DM Read receipt for that DM is received 1 second later at 2018-10-12 19:34:15.

1 second delay from user in DM bot to seeing a DM we sent seems reasonable and expected.
We often see read receipts with < 1 second delay (:+1:)

We give users 20 seconds to answer this prompt before resetting their state back to what it was before we sent the “enter your phone number” DM message.

Our user was frustrated that the bot’s response wasn’t “we got your phone number!”. I looked at when she entered her response and it was at 2018-10-12 19:34:40. This she claims was the very instant the response came to her. I would think the read receipt would be 2018-10-12 19:34:40 not 2018-10-12 19:34:15

FWIW we’re seeing this on iOS devices so far. It isn’t 100% consistent thank goodness but it’s pretty consistent over a large enough data set.

Does Twitter have any insight if read receipts and the time they occur are accurate? What could cause the DM to take 25 seconds to appear in a user’s window?

We’ve been trying to utilize the read receipts to help make the experience smoother for users which is how we ran into this issue/noticed it.

Thanks for the help and advice as always!

Interesting. I will bring this up with our product team.

Would you mind providing the App ID and Webhook ID that you are experiencing this with?

Hey @bobber205 - Wanted to get back to you on this. There is a chance that our system might experience some inconsistent latency with activities. This should not happen frequently, so please let me know if you have seen anything differently.