403 error on /1.1/statuses/update.json

All of a sudden (~45 minutes ago) we started getting 403 errors on API calls to /1.1/statuses/update.json for multiple accounts, however read API calls seem to be functioning perfectly. There is also no indication about the nature of the update limit (no mention of how much we are over, or when the window ends. Help?

Same thing happening here, also as of ~ 1 hour ago. I see other users complaining on twitter.

Seeing the same thing here as well.

Well, that’s “good” at least, that its just not us. Maybe we can get some love from the bird-wranglers as to what’s going on.

Hi all,

Can you tell me a bit more about the HTTP 403s you’re seeing? What’s the status message? What’s the response body? Any consistency to the types of tweets responded to with this? (Contains/does not contain links, from/not from accounts that send bulk tweets?)

Thanks!

We are getting these errors for standard tweets that are pure text. The message we get is:

403 Forbidden: The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it.

I have better, I have full packet traces… hold on redacting information

POST /1.1/statuses/update.json HTTP/1.1
Authorization: OAuth oauth_consumer_key=[you wish]
X-Twitter-Client: Twitter4J
Accept-Encoding: gzip
User-Agent: twitter4j http://twitter4j.org/
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Content-Length: 81
Host: api.twitter.com
Accept: text/html, image/gif, image/jpeg, *; q=.2, /; q=.2
Connection: keep-alive
status=W%20some%20%23bravofamily%20%40Bravotv%20&include_entities=1&include_rts=1
< HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
< cache-control: no-cache, max-age=300
< content-encoding: gzip
< content-length: 92
< content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
< date: Thu, 23 May 2013 21:35:44 GMT
< expires: Thu, 23 May 2013 21:40:44 GMT
< server: tfe
< set-cookie: dnt=1; domain=.twitter.com; path=/; expires=Wed, 24-May-2023 09:35:44 GMT
< set-cookie: pid=; domain=.twitter.com; path=/; expires=Thu, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 GMT
< set-cookie: lang=en; path=/
< set-cookie: guest_id=v1%3A136934494444955005; Domain=.twitter.com; Path=/; Expires=Sat, 23-May-2015 21:35:44 UTC
< status: 403 Forbidden
< vary: Accept-Encoding
< x-frame-options: SAMEORIGIN
< x-transaction: fa2225c30049b032
< x-ua-compatible: IE=9,chrome=1
< x-xss-protection: 1; mode=block

hmm… message (with packet data) just went pending moderation… and then vanished… I am assuming it was received? If not I can post again.

We are seeing the same thing for the last ~45 minutes too.

We have seen this on our QA & production environment, regardless of tweet body content (including simple “testing tweeting” type posts).

Seeing this too on all our apps on what looks like every type of API call.

Sometimes receiving “403 Forbidden: The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it.”

Logins are all failing with 302 responses!

Same here, we’re seeing the same thing! All of Post APIs are returning 403. Even new Request Tokens are returning NULL. Reading and GET calls are perfectly working though. What’s going on?

Same problem here too. It started for us at 2:20pm Pacific.

Same thing - all GET are going through correctly - but all POST are having problem. There is no message in the body, nor the response formatted for JSON.

Any guidance or help would be great.

It would be great if we could get an update on the Twitter status page where we could point users too as well.

I have created an issue ticket for this: https://dev.twitter.com/issues/1048

We are seeing this issue too, when sending Direct Messages and status updates.

Same here, disaster, everything is failing

Same here. @Techmeme @mediagazer @memeorandum @WeSmirch … all stopped posting. Of course we’re tweeting manually on some of these accounts, as the show must go on. But in the meantime, I’m feeling very powerless and frustrated, and am liable to shut down Techmeme any minute now and join a ballet company, which is my real lifelong dream.

UberSocial for Blackberry is seeing this problem in a big way, although its not consistent across all users.