"401 : Unauthorized" popping up for newly authorized users

Greetings,

We seem to be experiencing some issue with our application lately (can’t tell exactly when this started) where the OAuth authorization succeeds (we retrieve an access_token) but using the access_token always yields 401 errors.

We are using the Ruby on Rails OAuth gem v0.3.6 to integrate Twitter authentication. Here’s our workflow :

• We get an OAuth request token (through /oauth/request_token and the Ruby gem).

• We redirect to the Twitter website so that our user can authorize us to use his Twtter account on his behalf (/oauth/authorize) and provide the request_token.

• We get called back on our callback URL with the parameters “oauth_verifier” and “oauth_token”.

• We perform a request to get the access token (again through the Ruby gem), which is properly returned along with the token secret.

• Up to this point, everything looks great, however when we try to perform a request using the token, for example “/account/verify_credentials.json” or “/help/test.json”, we only get 401 errors returned.

Previously retrieved access token appear to work fine. In addition, our app appears in the app panel of the user settings on the Twitter website, so the authorization seems to be considered as fulfilled on your side.

I did some testing and found out that creating a test app on my personal twitter account and using its consumer key/secret to perform user authorization works with no change at all to our application code! Is there something wrong with our Twitter application/keys ?

Lastly, I should mention that we are still using the v1 endpoint at the moment.

Any ideas ?

Best,

Wilfried

This sounds like it could have something to do with “slave lag” on our side. What’s the consumer key/API key that you’re using?

If at all possible, could you capture one of these somewhat deterministic 401s (just after having the access token yielded) and post the HTTP headers you got in the response?

Does the same access token that’s having trouble just after issuing eventually become functional?

Thanks!

The affected consumer key is YjwgRG5zOswde0yNg6YQmA

“If at all possible, could you capture one of these somewhat deterministic 401s (just after having the access token yielded) and post the HTTP headers you got in the response?”

Incidently, since my token is working today, (and I have no logs of the previous headers) it’s going to be a hard task. I revoked access to the app and retrieved a new token for my test account and the token worked as expected (I can for example retrieve results from /users/lookup.json). I also tried to authorize another account and it seemed to work… Is the lag gone ?

However, calling /account/verify_crendtials.json yields a 404, so there is still something not quite right :

# - {"x-frame-options"=>["SAMEORIGIN"], "x-ratelimit-reset"=>["1350567549"], "x-ratelimit-limit"=>["150"], "x-transaction"=>["10b68254fdb01739"], "last-modified"=>["Thu, 18 Oct 2012 13:26:35 GMT"], "expires"=>["Tue, 31 Mar 1981 05:00:00 GMT"], "content-type"=>["application/json; charset=utf-8"], "date"=>["Thu, 18 Oct 2012 13:26:35 GMT"], "x-runtime"=>["0.02374"], "server"=>["tfe"], "x-ratelimit-class"=>["api"], "x-ratelimit-remaining"=>["141"], "content-length"=>["68"], "x-mid"=>["f14e974fce970d05187931c114ee789744926efb"], "set-cookie"=>["k=10.36.23.106.1350566795744204; path=/; expires=Thu, 25-Oct-12 13:26:35 GMT; domain=.twitter.com", "guest_id=v1%3A13505667957462978; domain=.twitter.com; path=/; expires=Sun, 19-Oct-2014 01:26:35 GMT", "dnt=; domain=.twitter.com; path=/; expires=Thu, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 GMT", "lang=en; path=/", "lang=en; path=/", "_twitter_sess=BAh7CDoPY3JlYXRlZF9hdGwrCO%252FZDXQ6ASIKZmxhc2hJQzonQWN0aW9uQ29u%250AdHJvbGxlcjo6Rmxhc2g6OkZsYXNoSGFzaHsABjoKQHVzZWR7ADoHaWQiJTc3%250AMWU3NmMwNzNkOWZlNjE0ZWM3ZmRlZmZhMzU0OTEw--3902082c62c8301e10b93eff91d48d1511fc55a9; domain=.twitter.com; path=/; HttpOnly"], "status"=>["404 Not Found"], "cache-control"=>["no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate, pre-check=0, post-check=0"], "vary"=>["Accept-Encoding"], "pragma"=>["no-cache"]}

Yesterday, I’m pretty sure it was 401 all the way (both verify_credentials and other endpoints).

“Does the same access token that’s having trouble just after issuing eventually become functional?”

I can’t guarantee this 100% but I just tried on the token I tested yesterday just before posting and sure enough it seems to be working now ?! This seems to concur with your idea. However, is there a way to go back to a near real-time delay ? :slight_smile:

Wilfried