400 "{"errors":[{"message":"Bad Authentication data","code":215}]}


getting the same thing please let me know also looking at this thread. if this really is an issue and not a fault at the users end who is trying to retrieve data using 1.1 api then twitter needs to handle this ASAP.


The new REST v1.1 search API is not working, I am using PHP, just updated to 1.1 yesterday, everything else seems fine, except for search, the example from the dev website does not work:
$xml = $twitter->http(‘https://api.twitter.com/1.1/search/tweets.json?q=%40twitterapi’);

I am using PHP. Array ( [errors] => Array ( [0] => Array ( [message] => Bad Authentication data [code] => 215 ) ) )

Here is my work: http://pintweet.tk


Make sure that the library you’re using is doing the right thing for you on the encoding of characters. It may over-encode if you pre-encode. API v1.1 is much stricter about only accepting valid encodings – in query strings, POST bodies, or the OAuth signature base string. Dig deeper into what your code is doing to understand how the request is actually being formulated.


I don’t think it is a string encoding issue. I used to use the old search api, and it works fine:

$xml = $twitter->http(‘http://search.twitter.com/search.json?q=hello&rpp=5&page=2’, ‘GET’);

I think it is something wrong with the search API itself, or we will not get: Bad Authentication data [code] => 215


The old Search API didn’t support require OAuth but API v1.1 does – are you not sending authentication credentials with your request?


I’ve had the same problem just 15 minutes before.
I’ve looked for an answer that works properly but I haven’t found anything right.
Now I already fixed :slight_smile:
It’s not a string encoding issue. It just a string issue, more exactly the quotes. At least for me.
I’m using abraham’s “twitteroauth” and i’ve notice that i was passing the four parameters (costumer_key,costumer_secret,oauth_key & oauth_secret) between quotes. I use variables to defines it and it treats them like strings. That’s was the problem.
I pull quotes out and everything works fine.
I hope it will be useful for all you.



Did you get the final working search URL? We are facing tough time to break this issue. Appreciate your early response


So instead of:

$consumer_key = "xxxxxxxxxxxx"
you used
$consumer_key = xxxxxxxxxxxx

?? I’m trying to solve the same problem,

thanks in advance!


I am getting this errror on using twitter api 1.1
{“errors”:[{“message”:“Bad Authentication data”,“code”:215}]}
while trying to access https://api.twitter.com/1.1/users/show.json?screen_name=xxx

Kindly resolve this asap or if there is an alternate then please share.


is this thing not working yet?


also getting the same issue
is it get resolved?


Im also getting same issue but now solved use of these url https://github.com/mcallisto/cakephp-twitteroauth/blob/master/Vendor/abraham-twitteroauth/DOCUMENTATION.
If any query plz send mail to soundarcse77@gmail.com


same issue i couldnt fix it. What i need to do? i didnt parse base string and i dont want to do that.


Thanks! That answer fixed the issue for me too


Was this issue ever fixed?


Same problem for me.

Here is my error code:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Exception’ with message ‘Error fetching remote http://api.twitter.com/1.1/users/lookup.json?user_id=72985339 [ status 403 ] {“errors”:[{“message”:“SSL is required”,“code”:92}]}’ in /home/binotumv/public_html/beta/sparks/oauth/0.3.1/libraries/OAuth.php:87 Stack trace: #0 /home/binotumv/public_html/beta/sparks/oauth/0.3.1/libraries/Request.php(504): OAuth::remote(‘http://api.twit…’, Array) #1 /home/binotumv/public_html/beta/sparks/oauth/0.3.1/libraries/Provider/Twitter.php(37): OAuth_Request->execute() #2 /home/binotumv/public_html/beta/application/controllers/auth.php(78): OAuth_Provider_Twitter->get_user_info(Object(OAuth_Consumer), Object(OAuth_Token_Access)) #3 [internal function]: Auth->oauth(‘twitter’) #4 /home/binotumv/public_html/beta/system/core/CodeIgniter.php(359): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #5 /home/binotumv/public_html/beta/index.php(202): require_once(’/home/binotumv/…’) #6 {main} thrown in /home/binotumv/public_html/beta/sparks/oauth/0.3.1/libraries/OAuth.php on line 87

I don’t know how i can this problem.


I’m having the same issue on a Android Studio app under development. Also, it occurs when:


{“errors”:[{“code”:215,“message”:“Bad Authentication data.”}]}


I am having the same problem. I created my Twitter App a few days ago. I am trying to call oauth/authenticate or account/settings from PHP using Abraham Williams’ Twitter OAuth library (downloaded from GitHub). From what I can tell, the tokens generated for my brand new app are invalid or expired.